Saturday, October 18, 2008

euphoric




Sometimes I feel like I could burst.

Randomly I will get these surges of joyful emotion that build inside of me until my body almost can't stand it. I have to yell, or sing, or cry, or smile, or whatever physical expression the emotion demands. Sometimes it can be connected to a specific event, but most times it is seemingly from left field when I am least expecting it.

Today I decided to look up 'euphoria' in the dictionary-
"An exaggerated feeling of emotional and physical well being, out of proportion to circumstances..."


Joey's grandpa passed away today.

After battling cancerous tumors in his body for the past few months, he passed this morning at 11:09am - less than 24 hours from when he was moved from his hospital bed and into a convalescent home. For the last 2 weeks, he had been getting progressively worse. Joey's mom and grandma along with other family members were constantly circulating in and out of the hospital to see him. They spent many late nights in the visitor's lobby, and made many phone calls to update on his frequently changing condition. One day things would be looking up for him, the next day they would take a turn for the worst.

But his family never left his side.

We headed over to Joey's grandma's house as soon as we heard the news. All day long the family was there eating, sharing stories, laughing, crying, eating some more. Everyone wanted to be there to support her during this time. It was awesome to see them all there together. Since I am one of the only non-Mexican people there (except for one of Joey's aunts, Shelly) I usually don't know what is going on for most of time when I visit because everyone speaks Spanish to each other. They speak Spanish to me too sometimes, but I rarely catch on until Joey's mom comes over and interprets for me. I do a lot of nodding and smiling when I go there. But today, we didn't need words. We all knew why we were there. No one had to say it. No one had to interpret.

We were there to be a family.

And no matter what language we spoke, or how long it had been since we last saw each other, or even if we remembered each other's names (which I have a hard time doing occasionally), we were family. It could be felt in every hug. Seen in each smile. We are all connected. I think when humans reach realizations like these about each other, it brings joy to God's heart. We may be from totally different walks of life, speak other languages, have separate views on how to live, how to work, what is cool, what is valuable...but we are all the same and we are all connected.

And so a piece of this family has left and it mourns. And we mourn with those who mourn. But we are confident that though Luis is gone, he is still a part of us and we rejoice that he is no longer in pain. He has gone to be where he belongs. Where he was created to have been all along. In the presence of his Maker, face to face.

I had one of those 'euphoria' moments today after visiting with the family.

I was confused about it at first considering the events the day had brought. And I could be totally wrong and only grasping for meaning to a simple over-release of hormones or something - but I can't help but think that as joy comes to God's heart at the coming together of His creations in love, as well as the new arrival of His child Luis, He is trickling down that joy to us.

And along with joy, peace. The kind that you can't explain with words.

The kind that words can't explain away.


No comments: